You must have a passport for travel to Japan. If you do not have a passport, contact your local passport agency.
If you have a passport, check the expiry date. Please renew your passport if it expires before you return to your host institution.
It is not necessary to be immunized before entering Japan.
As part of embarkation procedures, an immigration officer will ask you to present a return ticket, demonstrating that you will leave Japan within 90 days of your arrival. We strongly advise that you purchase your return ticket in advance.
Please check whether you need to obtain a Short-Term Stay visa to enter Japan or not in the following URL. http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html
Ensure that your nationality is that printed in your passport, regardless of whether you possess a green card.
If you need a visa to enter Japan
- Please contact the nearest Japanese consulate or embassy to ask what kinds of documents you need to submit to apply for your visa.
Procedure Chart for Visas http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/process/short.html
Embassies and consulate list http://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/index.html
- Please finish the following A and B so that HIF can mail out your visa documents sooner.
- Book your international flight to ENTER Japan and LEAVE Japan (tentative booking is OK) and e-mail HIF your flight information: Airlines, Flight schedule.
- Bank wire your tuition to the HIF bank account
Visa documents HIF will send to you
- Letter of reason for invitation
- Letter of Guarantee
- Detailed schedule (including your flight information)
- Receipt of your tuition payment
- HIF summer program outlines
- Your acceptance letter
- Verification of HIF
- Please take procedures of your visa application after you receive the documents from HIF.
We strongly suggest that you begin this procedure early, because the process may take 3~4 weeks.
Re-entering your country of residence
If you are studying outside of your country of normal residence, please ensure that your student visa will allow you to enter the host country after you leave Japan.
Extend your stay in Japan to participate in another language programs or university
|Step 1 :||Please ask the foreign student advisor of the program you will join before departing from your home country to issue your authorization of resident eligibility.|
|Step 2 :||
You can take procedures at immigration offices in Japan to change from a short terms stay visa to another visa. Usually you can obtain another visa on the day you apply.